Who We Are
What We Do
Goals and Objectives
1. Provide a network and community for legal services funders.
2. Help raise the profile of legal services organizations in the philanthropic community.
3. Support legal services organizations as they work to alleviate poverty.
4. Educate others about the value of legal services re: poverty alleviation
5. Correct misinformation about legal services funding, such as: funding needs are fully met by the government and lawyers, pro bono covers all the unmet needs legal needs and the existing legal aid programs can service all of those in need of assistance.
6. Provide an example of multi-sector collaboration by having a mix of types of funders working and learning together.
7. Facilitate opportunities for collaboration with other funders.
8. Represent the legal services funding community when called upon to do so.
Events, Meeting and Resources
Our offerings include:
– An annual “Signature Event” Program (open to all)
– An annual Funders Dinner, hosted by the LSFN
– Quarterly program meetings. Sample topics: The Changing Landscape of Civil Legal Aid; Public Interest Loan Forgiveness Programs; Legal Incubators
– “Day in Court” Field Trips (site visits to various courts in the Bay Area including meeting with judges when possible)
– A resource pool of experienced legal service funders
– MCLE credit option for educational programs
– LSFN website (legalservicesfundersnetwork.org), hosted by OneJustice, which offers:
– A calendar of events and meetings (philanthropy and legal)
– Policy updates on issues that impact the issues we connect to
– Resource articles and links to helpful websites
– A member directory (members only access)
– Blog posts
As of 2017 a small membership fee for participating in the LSFN will commence. In addition, we welcome donations to help cover costs. Please feel free to contact us through this site Contact Us form for more information on LSFN’s budget and financial needs. Contributions to the LSFN can be made to:
Legal Services Funders Network (LSFN)
c/o Northern California Grantmakers, Attn. Director of Finance & Operations
160 Spear Street, Suite 360
San Francisco, CA 94105-1543
Art Cirulnick Venable, LLP
Brian Van Weele Whittier Trust
James Head East Bay Community Foundation
Patti D’Angelo Juachon Marin Community Foundation
Nancy Wiltsek van Löben Sels/RembeRock Foundation
Claire Solot Bigglesworth Family Foundation
Sonia Gonzales California Bar Foundation
Yali Lincroft Walter S. Johnson Foundation
Colin Lacon San Francisco Mayor's Office
Stacey Keare Legal Aid of San Mateo & Donor Advised Fund
Thomas V. Loran III Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Julia Wilson OneJustice (Advisor)
Art CirulnickVenable, LLP
Art Cirulnick is a Partner at Venable, LLP
Brian Van WeeleWhittier Trust
Brian Van Weele is the VP, Client Advisor & Philanthropic Services at Whittier Trust
James HeadEast Bay Community Foundation
James Head is the President & Chief Executive Officer at the East Bay Community Foundation and a co-founder of the Legal Services Funders Network.
Patti D’Angelo JuachonMarin Community Foundation
Patti D’Angelo Juachon is the Program Director, Environment & Legal Services at the Marin Community Foundation.
Nancy Wiltsekvan Löben Sels/RembeRock Foundation
Nancy Wiltsek is the Executive Director of the van Löben Sels/RembeRock Foundation.
Claire SolotBigglesworth Family Foundation
Claire Solot is the Managing Director of the Bigglesworth Family Foundation and a co-founder of the Legal Services Funders Network.
Sonia GonzalesCalifornia Bar Foundation
Sonia Gonzales is the Executive Director of the California Bar Foundation.
Yali LincroftWalter S. Johnson Foundation
Yali Lincroft is the Program Director at the Walter S. Johnson Foundation.
Colin LaconSan Francisco Mayor's Office
Colin Lacon is the Director of Strategic Partnerships at the San Francisco Mayor’s Office.
Stacey KeareLegal Aid of San Mateo & Donor Advised Fund
Stacey Keare is the President of the Girls Rights Project and a Board Member at Legal Aid of San Mateo & Donor Advised Fund.
Thomas V. Loran IIIPillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Thomas V. Loran III is a Partner at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, LLP.
Julia WilsonOneJustice (Advisor)
Julia Wilson is the Chief Execuitve Officer at OneJustice and an Advisor to the Legal Services Funders Network.